Saturday 28 May 2016

Raise Now....

Being a single mother is not what women who are single mothers due to whatever reason or circumstance look forward to. But how can you deal or cope when such a thing happens to you? I am a single mother of one to this amazing little prince that I try to raise. I try to give it my best shot all the time. I do get confused about what to we do sometimes and I must admit, it is overwhelming sometimes. Especially raising a young man. There are some things that only a man can relate to. So when such times come by, I just try my best to not overthink the situation and hope that I can be the best mom/dad to the little king that I am raising.


What I have resulted to is ensuring that I keep him busy whenever I get the chance. He is such a free spirit and all I would want is to raise him to know that in life, things may happen in a way that one did not expect or anticipate but the one thing to do is to keep moving ...  onward and upwards.
He has become my best friend, one who gives me the strength to never give up no matter what lies ahead, both the known and the unknown. It is such  great feeling to finally have a man that I can take out to weddings with as my date... ( I even dress him up in a tuxedo as I dress up for whichever wedding... speaking of which, we have a wedding to attend this 1st June 2016 ...\0/ ). I started working early so I recall days when I had to take myself out for diner dates, sit and eat by myself as I was .. well.. by myself. Now, I get excited to ask him where he'd want to grab dinner / lunch .. as we sit and chat about the day. Sigh... it is good to be his mommy I tell you!

He and I are best of  friends. I have found such beauty and pride in being his mother. He has taught me to humble myself because sometimes life does surprise you and you have to simply be like water. I have come to take this quote from Brice Lee to heart... it is simply the best.

" Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can flow , or crash. Be water, my friend!" - Brice Lee



My current situation has simply made it easy for me accept things as they are and look at them in a positive light.  I, my friend , have become - Water -.  Besides, it is the greatest gift that I  have ever gotten on earth, being his mom. I recall nights when i'd sit and watch him as he slept, wondering how other mothers do it... I was only 26 when I had him.  I actually did wonder if I was fit  or ready for this new job. Turns out, I was the lucky chosen one. It is the best thing I have ever become. Someone who he looks up to. Always has to check with , before doing something or believing it or not.. " yes, mama?.. isn't it?  " are some of the things he says to me as he tries  to check with me if some the things he is saying are facts, lol. you know, confirmation from his BFF.  I love this boy.





 I cannot stress this enough. Having to raise him, has just changed my life in such a positive way. He has already started teaching me things that I never knew before and frankly speaking, had I never met him, I doubt I'd have had the chance to learn them. So I would advise all parents to take heart and love this job that we are given the minute we get the tittle mom/dad. There are lots of sacrifices that come with this job but I think that it is all worth it in the end. In fact, it is worth it every minute of the day. The smile my son gives me, or the random hugs or kisses I get then followed by " I love you " or " you are the best mom " just melt my heart. It is why I exist. To make him proud to call me mom, for him to count on me and know that I am always there for him no matter what.


So, Cheers to all you Single moms / dads out there. Raise the little kings /queens to become the best men and women in the society that they are from, amazing boyfriends or girlfriends to those they will date. Loving and caring husbands or wives to these who will marry them and eventually, due to what they learnt from you, they will turn out to be great mothers and fathers ... to their children. 
That, ladies and gentlemen, is what I am trying with mine, and hoping that all goes well in the end. 




Life is happier and easier when you start being happy with what it has given you. Don't wait for the perfect time so that you can be the perfect parent. And I beg you not to let another parent tell you how to be a "good parent" If  you feel  that you are doing it right, then by all means, continue doing it your way. There will never be a perfect time to be the perfect parent - Life is passing you by, besides, these young ones grow by the minute. Live Now... Raise Now!



Cheers my friends.

xx

Shella.

No comments:

Post a Comment